Dhaka, Bangladesh
24-hr service at all community clinics soon

24-hr service at all community clinics soon

Policy soon to fix fees of doctors

News Report Health Minister Zahid Maleque has said that the government will soon start providing 24-hour services at 14,000 community clinics across the country. "There's no alternative but to introduce 24-hour services to ensure safe motherhood and reduce infant mortality," he said. The minister said this while speaking at a discussion titled safe water and sanitation at hospitals jointly organised by NGO Forum Bangladesh and The Dainik Bhorer Kagoj at the vernacular daily's office on Thursday. Two usable toilets were already set up at all 14,000 community clinics each, he said, adding that cleaning staff will be appointed soon. He also said 72 per cent of government hospitals have modern and clean toilet facilities and modernisation of the rest 28 per cent are underway. Bhorer Kagoj editor Shyamal Dutta conducted the programme which was attended by Md Saifur Rahman, chief engineer of the Department of Public Health Engineering; SM Moniruzzaman, national adviser (Policy Support) of the Local Government Division; and Ahsan Habib, Head of Research, Monitoring & Evaluation at NGO Forum for Public Health were, among others, present. A BSS report adds: Health and Family Welfare Minister Zahid Maleque Thursday informed the House that the government was considering formulation of a policy to fix the fee of doctors who deal with patients at private hospitals, clinics and chambers. "The present government has planned to fix the visiting fee of patients, which will be acceptable for all, for both general practitioners and specialised physicians based on their qualifications and status," he told the Jatiya Sangsad while replying a starred question placed by ruling party lawmaker Gloria Jharna Sarkar (Women Seat-30). "I hope that it would be quite possible to start the implementation works of the policy in the future," Maleque said. Responding to another question by Jatiya Party lawmaker Shamim Haider Patwary, the health minister said the government is planning to introduce the universal health database programme at all the hospitals of the country gradually under the health information system and e-health operation plan of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS). He said the universal health database programme is currently operational at Kaliganj Upazila Health Complex, Gazipur, while the government has decided to introduce the programme at 60 more hospitals in the country.

Share |